Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Patriots Needed to Help Update Wikipedia's "List of Guantanamo Bay Detainees" - "Sponsor" a Terrorist

I stumbled upon this Wikipedia entry entitled "List of Guantanamo Bay detainees". As you can see, it appears to be very detailed, complete with a section for "notes". As you can also see, missing from those "notes", are few mentions of why some of these people are at Gitmo in the first place. Further, crimes committed by Gitmo detainees after release are also ignored for teh most part. For example, right near the top of the list is Abdallah, Muhamed Hussein. This man, according to unclassified U.S. government documents, is at Gitmo because he provided information to both Al Qaeda and the Taliban. Ironically, a much more complete Wikipedia entry concerning Hussien can be found here, complete with details concerning Hussein's involvement with Al Qaeda.

Reviewing the "list", it doesn't take long to see that the people who are documenting this "list" are motivated by a slanted agenda designed to make these men appear to be either innocent, sympathetic, or both. Either that, or they're just not very thorough. I have my suspicions as to which.

I am asking for your help in updating the "notes" section of this Wikipedia entry. These "notes" should include, to the extent that a citing reference can be found, any information relating to the reasons for the particular individual's incarceration, statements evidencing a continued desire to serve as a terrorist, and any other significant information.

I make this call to arms with absolutely no experience with Wikipedia. I have no idea if it's even possible to update this list or whether any further input will be disallowed or censored. I simply find the lack of objectivity appalling.

I am asking you to "sponsor" a terrorist. Pick one from the list, research him, and see if there is anything you can add to this Wikipedia "list" of Gitmo detainees. It will be both a fun and rewarding experience. I can document your efforts at the newly established Big Feed message board. Please let me know which terrorist you have chosen to sponsor. Also, let me know if you run into any difficulty from Wikipedia in your efforts to update this list. Please, do not make things up. Be sure to cite your information as Wikipedia encourages. If you need help figuring out Wikipedia, let me know.

I am sponsoring the aforementioned Hussein fella. I'm sure I'll take a few others. I will report back on my results.

Thank you,

Captain Thurston

UPDATE: I was able, with not too much trouble, to update Hussein's entry. Check it out. Wikipedia editing is little strange, but doable. Worth the effort to tell the truth.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in. But it will have to wait until the weekend. I'll take a couple. Good idea.

Anonymous said...

Ditto. I'll take on a few this weekend. It's going to take me a while to figure out Wikipedia. That was just goofy.

Anonymous said...

I am interested