Sunday, February 22, 2009

29 Years Ago Today - Do You Believe in Miracles?

Hard to imagine it's been so long. 29 years ago today the United States of America amateur hockey team defeated a team of Russian professionals during the winter Olympics in what has to be the greatest upset in sports history. It lifted a nation. It was nothing short of surreal.

This video is a newly discovered original call of the game by Curt Chaplin who was covering the game as a sports reporter for the ABC Radio Network. Standing on a camera platform in the crowd, he did play-by-play of the entire game into his tape recorder, capturing the event on tape forever. Now, after 25 years, these tapes have been rediscovered and matched to the video.



Reading the write up on Youtube about how this video was put together, many thanks go out to Curt Chaplin, the man who was calling this game. It sounds as if he were there all by himself as ABC did not broadcast the game live on TV. It was tape-delayed. As I kid, I guess I didn't know this. Mr. Chaplin is an unsung hero in this story.

Here are some of the Youtube comments that shed more light on what it must have been like for those listening live on radio:

"Heard last 5 minutes of game on radio driving home and almost wrecked. had to pull over for the last minute and could hardly move when it was over. the greatest single moment in american sports history. with the pros playing in olympics now, we'll never see anything like this again."

"This is a great video especially since the original game was only heard live on the RADIO. The game was played around rush hour and ABC decided to delay the video broadcast. I was in Boston screaming at a radio. People pulled over and wouldn't go thru the tunnels, they pulled over on the Mass Pike. My husband and I had just graduated from BU Law and 4 of our Terriers were on that team so we were invested big time. It was fun finally SEE the game, but the original broadcast was on the RADIO."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!

obbop said...

A quasi-coincidence!!!

Reading this post about the 1980 USA Olympics gold medal win in hockey, defeating the USSR team.

I wrote about the event as part of a recent blog entry of days gone by.

Rather than re-write here's a link where i talk about that funtastic event and the era in which it occurred.

http://obbop.wordpress.com/2009/02/01/old-coot-remembrance-tm-aka-ancient-history/

Ali Blah Blah said...

Still brings tears to me eyes. Electrifying! I had a few months to go before I came to the USA. I listened this game a the radio 99.5 AM "The Akbar!" in a small tent I had erected behind our house. Just me and my goat, Omar. I'm not ashamed to say I kissed him on the mouth when the Russians were defeated.